POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Our World (175 Kb) : Re: Our World (175 Kb) Server Time
17 Aug 2024 10:15:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Our World (175 Kb)
From: Yadgar
Date: 4 Nov 2001 16:54:33
Message: <3BE5C880.868DF7FB@ndh.net>
JMZ schrieb:

> 3BE588FA.DC9CAB81@ndh.net...
> > No, that's not Balkh, it's somewhere in south-western Turkmenistan, east
> of
> > that would be ancient
> > Merv... Balkh is located in northern Afghanistan!
>
> Sure, ruins of Balkh (Bactres in French) are at
> 10 kilometers on the west of Mazar e Sharif.
> But I have some difficults to point the nail
> at the exact place...

Have you ever been there - perhaps back in the 70s, as a shaggy hippie with
flowing mane on the Magic Highway to India?

Though I never had the chance to visit the country, I'm an Afghanistan geek
myself (see also my signature) and toyed for years with the idea of pre-war
Afghanistan as a raytraced 3D world... currently I'm working on the region
between Kandahar and the Pakistani border, based on a scanned topographic map
at a scale of 1:300.000. Cumbersome work, more than 4 million pixels have to
be set manually to make the heightfield...

See you in Khyberspace - http://www.geocities.com/electricafghan/index-e.html

Afghanistan Chronicle: http://www.ndh.net/home/bleimann/

Yadgar  - Cologne, Germany